Monday, February 9, 2009

It's all about who you know, and who THEY know!

I am over a week into this project and the results have been amazing! I have received dozens of emails from people across the country offering support and best wishes or submitting job leads. Some of the leads have been hilarious such as the “Shampoo Boy” position at an Arizona Salon. The furthest lead I have had so far came all the way from Dubai. The Blog and Facebook Group are opening doors of opportunity and have helped me to make contacts that I never would have had access to otherwise.

It is astonishing to think about how far reaching social media sites have become. I have regularly used these sites to re-connect with old friends, keep track of family events and even dating (Yes, I admit it). I have always understood the power of networking both socially and professionally. This Blog and the Facebook Group have helped me to effectively combine the two. If you ask my family and friends they will all tell you that I have always been an outgoing guy and a “people person.” I expected that much of the support would come from my personal network of family and close friends, however, the results have been more far reaching than I ever imagined! In fact, over 50% of the emails I have received so far have been from people I don’t even know personally. They are friends of friends and complete strangers who came across my story and want to be involved.

With the state of the current job market, the ability to leverage your network is KEY. No one can help unless they know you are looking! What has been fascinating to me is how eager people have been to reach out and help in my search. Once the word got out that was looking I have found that most people are more than happy to help in any way they can. The outpouring of support has been unbelievable!

Keep the posts, emails and leads coming!!

2 comments:

  1. brilliant idea stranger! hope it works out for you. I'll be anxiously reading about your progress.

    ReplyDelete